My sister Rebecca and I were driving home from Logan last night and reminiscing about hazardous playground equipment. One that came to mind was our personal favorite the Giant stride. (I called this giant strikes thanks Bec for helping me out some 20 years later.) As we compared notes our memories were almost identical.
1) Two bars are better than one.
2) Smell of dirty metal
3) Blisters on the fatty parts of the hands right under the fingers.
4) Being launched into space
5) Hanging on and praying that you don’t fling off and skid across the pavement and gravel
6) Wrapping your chain around all the other chains launching you into a superman flight and having a tall friend to push you over even higher. (note to self avoid button up shirts.)
7) G-O Go Low-way or G-O Go high-way.
As we compared notes we found that this goes back for generations. Our mom has many of the same memories. It is a wonder that we all haven’t been killed off by the Giant Strides (not strikes)
We got home late but I still had to search Google for a Picture for those who did not get to experience this great childhood memory. Rebecca and I both think that the middle pole was much taller than the one in this picture. Maybe even 2 times taller.