Tuesday, January 25, 2011

what a brave little girl

I wanted to write about Kenidee's VCUG before I forget. Not that I would forget this experience in a long time but still....
My biggest concern was when to start telling Kenidee about this test. I didn't want to tell her to early and have her be worried about it for weeks or days.  I decided to tell her about it on Saturday. She had lots of questions and I tried to answer them as honest as I could. I wanted her to know what to expect. I didn't want to tell her it wouldn't hurt when it really would. She told me she was being shy about going (she uses the word shy when she is feeling nervous)  I told her it was okay to be scared and nervous.
Sunday night I told her that PAPA and daddy were going to giver her a blessing before she went to bed. This was a good teaching moment for me. I got to explain to her what a blessing really is and that it is not scary, that a blessing will help us not be nervous. This was her first blessing that she was aware of what was going on. She asked me if she could sit on my lap while she got a blessing.
After I took her to brush her teeth and she said to me "mom when I was getting a blessing my heart felt warm and I kind of started to cry. Is that okay?" I was given another opportunity to teach my daughter what she felt was the Holy Ghost telling her that she was going to be okay and that what her daddy told her in the blessing was true.
The next morning we had to be at the hospital at 8:00 am. My mom came over and stayed with Bennett and let me take her car. (because Robin had to stay in Idaho Falls to go to school) When we checked in Kenidee was miss chatterbox. She was every ones new friend. She really enjoyed the fish tank in the waiting room.
Almost everyone we came in contact with told her that her hair or her eyes were so beautiful. After about the 7th person that told her that she said to me "mom why does everyone keep telling me that?!"  We just have to keep teaching her to just say thank you. :)
So we went to the ultra sound first and it wasn't  bad at all. The Tech was so nice and explained things to her and talked to her. Kenidee did what he asked her to do and at this time things weren't too bad.
Then came the hard part they moved us to the X-ray room. I was able to be in the room with her while they got her all ready to go. They showed Kenidee everything they were going to use including the catheter. When they showed her the catheter she said "oh such a cute little tube. I love it" She didn't "love" it for long.
The nurse came in bearing gifts chocolate milk two suckers and a teddy bear. While they put the catheter in of course it hurt and she didn't not like it one bit, but she did okay. Then things were just fine.
Because I couldn't be in with her I stood behind the "iron wall" but could see her and she knew I was there. I don't know if this was a good idea. They started to fill her bladder with dye and I could watch it on the screen back with me. When they asked her to go to the bathroom in a small tub she just wanted her mom. It became to be quite the challenge to get this little girl to go to the bathroom where she was. She was crying for me then the crying became screaming. I felt so bad and so helpless. I so bad wanted to run over to her and tell her it was okay, but I couldn't.
Kenidee could also see what was going on, on a screen above her head. The tech told her to make the "balloon" smaller she kept telling Kenidee that through all the screaming then Kenidee yelled at her "THAT IS NOT A BALLOON THAT IS MY BLADDER!" the Dr. in the room looked at the tech and said well she is right. :) it made me laugh. After running water and pouring warm water on her bum she finally started to go.  I was so excited for her. To be almost done.
As soon as the machine was off I ran to my baby girl. I hate not being able to be with her. She was so red and splotchy.
We were given good news that her urine was not backing up into  her kidneys, I will hear from her dr. today and we will get full results.
After the tests were  done I had promised her that we could go to Target and get her anything she wanted.
Well the first thing she asked for was a huge doll house.... Okay not ANYTHING. She finally picked out a pet shop thing, and as we were walking to the front of the store she said to me mom you told me I could get one thing right.?Well that is why I picked out a toy with lots of things in it. She is a smart little girl.
Kenidee is doing really good she played with friends all day yesterday and is a little sore but she is just fine.

4 comments:

{Alynn} said...

Oh Stephie, that must have been so awful! I'm so glad you both made it through OK, and I hope she doesn't have any more problems in the future! Poor baby girl!!!

Kristin and Jay said...

oh my goodness I totally got teary eyed reading that. I could not even imagine! When Ashlynn choked on her coin and they took xrays to make sure it wasn't stuck in her lungs I about lost it as soon as they layed her down for an xray! I couldn't imagine having to hear her scream for me too! Oh man! Thats tough stuff! It sounds like you were pretty tough too! So glad everything turned out well!

Unknown said...

I am so sorry that you had to go through that. More so that Robin couldn't be there with the two of you. I am glad the test went well. I hope the results end up being good. Tell Kennidee that we love her and Gaby wants her to know that she will pray for her...she is close to Heavenly Father. He always answers her prayers.

Jenn said...

Oh Steph, we know all about VCUG's all too well. They are not fun. I am glad to hear that Kennidee doesn't have reflux. I had no idea she was having trouble with that. I remember when Cassidy had hears when she was almost 4, it was pure torture on me. I felt so bad for her. Claire actually did really good, but they are terrible all the way around. I like her talking back to the xray tech, that is great!!